Comparison shopping involves comparing features, costs, benefits and risks of similar products from one or more suppliers. It enables you to make informed buying decisions and can help you save big over the long run.
How much can you save? Financial experts claim that comparison shopping can help you save up to 50% on the items you want to buy. In other words, if you’re spending thousands of dollars on supplies each year, comparison shopping can make a significant difference on your bottom line.
But will it take too much time? It doesn’t have to. This chapter provides tips for comparing dental supply prices online, so you can get the best deals possible and still have time for your patients.
How to Compare Deals on Dental Supplies
In the dental industry, comparison shopping shows you how costs vary from one vendor to the next. This helps you ensure you’re getting a good price. One way to compare deals is to list all the suppliers you want to buy from, visit each one’s website, find the products you want, jot down the prices and compare.
Does that sound like a lot of work? That’s because it is. The above strategy can be time-consuming and challenging, particularly if the suppliers do not list their prices. Instead of creating lists with pen and paper, you can use digital tools to compare prices quickly and easily.
For example, you can use purchasing software designed for the dental industry, like Method. With Method, you can request quotes from a curated list of distributors or incorporate your current suppliers. After the suppliers respond, Method performs an automatic cost analysis to show you the best deals. You can then order the items in the same easy-to-use platform, even if you’re buying from multiple suppliers at once. This means you don’t have to spend time browsing the web or ordering supplies from various websites.
Since dental supply prices can increase over time, comparison shopping is not a one-time job. Consider how almost a third of dentists claim that personal protective equipment prices tripled in 2020. For the most savings, you’ll want to comparison-shop every time you’re ready to order more supplies — another reason to use purchasing software. Purchasing software will come in handy whenever you need to find the best prices.
Tips for Comparison Shopping Online
No matter what strategy you use to comparison shop, here are a few tips to maximize the process:
- Know your budget, needs and wants before comparing prices.
- Figure out what’s most important to you so you can prioritize the features you want.
- Compare features and costs offered by at least three different suppliers.
- Evaluate the unit price rather than only looking at the overall cost.
- Determine whether it’s a better deal to order a large quantity from a particular manufacturer or distributor.
- Don’t always buy dental supplies in bulk because you could wind up with excess inventory.
- Read reviews before you buy new dental supplies, even if you’ve found a great deal.
- Remember to compare shipping and handling fees, taxes and other costs.
- See if a supplier has price-matching policies, so you can get the same price that a competitor offers.
- Compare refund policies between suppliers, including for items on sale.
- Compare product availability across suppliers, including shipping times.
- Ensure the supplier is an authorized distributor of the products you are ordering.
Benefits of Comparison Shopping for Dental Practices
Comparison shopping is not just about saving money. When you compare prices on dental supplies, you’ll gain the following:
- Greater control of your practice’s finances
- More knowledge of the products you’re interested in
- The ability to make informed buying decisions
- The ability to invest more in your practice and help it grow
To learn more about Method Procurement software and how it can help you compare prices, save money and increase efficiency, contact our team today.
Table of Contents
Download the Guide
Fill out the form below and be directed to a page to download a pdf of the guide.
More Resources on Inventory and Supply Chain Management
- Inventory Management for Dentists
- Easily Manage Your Inventory
- Receiving Supplies
- Dental Supply Inventory Management
- How to Effectively Manage Dental Inventory
- Keeping Purchasing Simple with the Kanban Method
- KPIs for Dental Inventory Management
- Lean Six Sigma in Dental Inventory Management
- The Effects of Lean Inventory Management
- When to Buy Dental Supplies